Wood Dale School District 7 Board of Education met Sept. 19.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
ROLL CALL/QUORUM/PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
President Petrella called the meeting to order at 7:11 p.m. and he directed the secretary to call the roll. Upon roll call the following members answered present: Woods, Botello, Cox, Petrella, Zuniga, and Fletcher-Gomez.
Absent members: Daniels.
Also present were: Dr. John Corbett, Superintendent; Mr. Steve Wilt, Business Manager; Dr. Merri Beth Kudrna, Curriculum Director; Mrs. Shelly Skarzynski, Principal; Mr. Al Buttimer, Principal; Mr. Tim Shermak, Principal; Mrs. Elvia Villalobos, Principal; Ms. Kelly Gould, Special Education Coordinator; Ms. Cristina Montano, Administrative Secretary, staff, and community members.
NOTICES AND COMMUNICATIONS
● Freedom of Information Request - Dr. Corbett reported that the Board received 2 FOIA requests over the last month: 1)
K-12 Transportation Research, regarding special needs transportation contracts & 2) SmartProcure, regarding purchasing records from 06/12/2019 through present. Both requests were responded to by the administration within the required timeline.
● Dr. Bill Daggett Event - Mrs. Botello, Mrs. Daniels, and Dr. Corbett attended a presentation by Dr. Bill Daggett, (an education futurist). They shared their impressions of the event with the Board members.
● Intergovernmental Dinner - Mrs. Botello, Mr. Woods, and Dr. Corbett attended the Wood Dale Taxing Bodies Intergovernmental BBQ on October 18th. They provided the Board with some feedback regarding the event.
● Thank You Letter - Dr Corbett read a letter he received from Mr. John Santoro (resident of the 190 Building). In the letter Mr. Santoro praises Mr. Gonzalez and the Board of Education for the thoughtful installation of landscaping in conjunction with the parking lot expansion at Oakbrook School
There was no public comment.
CLOSED SESSION - It was moved by Mrs. Fletcher-Gomez and seconded by Mr. Woods that the Board enter into executive session for the purpose of discussing the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees and pending litigation.
Roll call vote: Yeas – Fletcher-Gomez, Botello, Cox, Petrella, Woods, and Zuniga.
Nays – none. Motion carried.
The Board went into closed session at 7:24 p.m. The Board came out of closed session at 7:41 p.m.
APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA INCLUDING MINUTES, FINANCIAL REPORTS AND PERSONNEL REPORT
1. Approved Regular Board Meeting Minutes for August 15, 2019 and Closed Session Meeting Minutes for August 15, 2019.
2. Approved Treasurer’s Report for August 2019.
3. Approved Budget Status Report for August 2019.
Approved Payroll for August 2019 and bills for September 2019 as summarized herein:
Payroll 8/19 $ 622,763.48
Bills Payable 9/19 $ 488,410.03
Totals $ 1,111,173.51
4. Approved Personnel Report for the month of September, 2019.
a. Employment – ratified the employment of Jorge De La Torre , Custodian @ OB; Jennifer Cabrera , Paraprofessional @ OB, Madeline Sullivan , Paraprofessional @ OB; and Nancy Gonzalez , Physical Education Paraprofessional @ JH effective 9/19/19.
b. FMLA - approved the 12-week FMLA request for Karen Gershman , Speech Pathologist @ WV beginning approximately 11/25/19.
It was moved by Mrs. Fletcher-Gomez and seconded by Mrs. Botello that the Board approve the consent agenda for the month of September, 2019.
Roll call vote: Yeas – Botello, Fletcher-Gomez, Zuniga, Petrella, Woods, and Cox.
Nays – none. Motion carried.
A. Enrollment Status Report – Dr. Corbett provided the Board with a written report with the overall enrollment trends for the last 5 years.
B. KaBoom Grant Update - Dr. Corbett provided an update on the status of the KaBoom! Playground Build. His report Included an accounting of what still needed to be accomplished prior to Build Day, which is scheduled for October 4th.
C. Fenton Class of 2018 Graduation Report - The Board had previously been provided with a copy of the 2019 Fenton Graduation Report. The Board had an opportunity to discuss and comment on the information in the report.
D. Portrait of a Graduate Update - Dr. Corbett provided the Board of Education with an update on the Portrait of a Graduate project, including the names of the members of the District 7 Portrait of a Graduate team.
E. Presentation of 2019 Illinois Assessment Readiness (IAR) Scores – Dr. Kudrna and the principals presented a summary of the 2019 IAR scores. Board members received a summary of these scores in their weekly memo sent on Friday, September 13th. Board members posed questions to the administrators regarding the IAR scores.
F. Monthly Financial Update – Mr. Wilt provided the Board with a detailed report regarding the financial status of the District.
G. Annual Tour of Schools - Dr. Corbett announced that immediately following the Board meeting, Board members would tour the schools. All meeting attendees were invited to accompany the Board members on the tour.
H. Informational Items and Communications – The following are important dates for upcoming school district events:
➢ Monday, October 8
➢ Tuesday, October 9
➢ Wednesday, October 24
Columbus Day – No School
Teacher Professional Development – No School
School Board Meeting 7:00pm
It was moved by Mrs. Daniels and seconded by Mrs. Botello that the Board approve the Superintendent’s Report for the month of September, 2018. After a voice vote Vice-President Cox declared the motion carried.
A. The Finance Committee met on September 9th to discuss the Board Finance Goals for the 2019/20 school year. The committee also discussed the proposal made by the city regarding the use of school district property for a stormwater project. Members of the Finance Committee provided a report.
1. Approval and Adoption of the Wood Dale School District 7 2019/20 Budget – It was moved by Ms. Fletcher-Gomez and seconded by Mrs. Botello that the Board adopt the 2019/20 Budget.
Roll call vote: Yeas – Zuniga, Fletcher-Gomez, Woods, Cox, Petrella, and Botello.
Nays – none. Motion carried
2. Review and Approval of Bullying Policy 7:180 Prevention of and Response to Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment
It was moved by Mrs. Fletcher-Gomez and seconded by Mrs. Zuniga that the Board approve the reviewed Policy 7:180.
Roll call vote: Yeas – Cox, Zuniga, Petrella, Fletcher-Gomez, Woods, and Botello.
Nays – none. Motion carried.
ADJOURNMENT: It was moved by Mr. Woods and seconded by Mrs. Zuniga that the meeting be adjourned. After a voice vote President Petrella declared the motion carried.
The meeting adjourned at 8:17 p.m.