City of West Chicago City Council met August 19
City of West Chicago City Council met Aug. 19.
Here is the minutes provided by the council:
1. Call to Order. Mayor Ruben Pineda called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
2. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. Alderman Garling led all in the pledge of allegiance. 3. Invocation. The City Clerk gave the invocation.
4. Roll Call and Establishment of a Quorum.
Roll Call found Aldermen Lori J. Chassee, James E. Beifuss, Jr., Heather Brown, Jayme Sheahan, Michael D. Ferguson, Sandy Dimas, Christopher Swiatek, Matthew E. Garling, Jeanne M. Short, Bonnie A. Gagliardi, and Noreen Ligino-Kubinski present. Aldermen Alton Hallett, Melissa Birch-Ferguson, and Rebecca Stout were absent. The Mayor announced a quorum.
City Clerk Nancy M. Smith was also present.
Also in attendance were City Attorney Sean Conway, Acting City Administrator Linda Martin, Chief of Police Mike Uplegger, and Community Development Director Tom Dabareiner. City Administrator Michael L. Guttman was absent.
5. Public Participation.
A. Presentation: Railroad Days Parade Awards. The Mayor called upon David Sabathne, CEO and Executive Director of the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce and Industry, to make the presentation. Mr. Sabathne thanked the Mayor for the opportunity to present the Railroad Days parade award recipients to the community. He noted the challenges in the date change and wanting to go with the butterfly theme. The theme evolved into change and metamorphosis. He said working with the parade was his honor and then he asked Mayor Pineda to help present the awards. The Turner Award went to Smile View Dental. Accepting the award was Dr. Reem Shafi and her assistant, Anna. The Heritage Award went to the West Chicago Elementary School District 33 Ballet Folklorico. Many of the members were there. The Grand Marshal award went to a person that has represented our community for many years, Richard Truitt. Mayor Pineda said former Mayor Truitt was a mentor of his, and got him involved in cleaning the Boy Scout cabin at Reed-Keppler Park. Mayor Truitt of West Chicago did many things. The big prairie in West Chicago is named after him. He is a World War II veteran. He should be thanked for what he did to give us freedom. Former Mayor Truitt then spoke. He said he turned 95 a few weeks ago. His family wanted to give him a special treatment so a bagpiper came in and played for him. Mayor Truitt said he was 19 years old when he landed at Normandy, and he spent 300 days on the front. He went through the Battle of the Bulge. He taught school for 30 years and started many building and instigation of organizations in West Chicago with the help of a lot of people. His wife passed away a few years ago. She was a World War II nurse. He has six children, two of which were here tonight. At the request of his son, the bagpiper played Danny Boy, a song that his grandmother used to sing to him. Mayor Truitt got a standing ovation.
After all the people left, the City Clerk announced that as of forty-one years and five minutes ago, Alderman Ferguson and his wife, Diane, said their “I do’s.”
6. City Council Meeting Minutes – August 5, 2019. Alderman Chassee made a motion, seconded by Alderman Swiatek, to approve the minutes of August 5, 2019. During discussion, Alderman Garling said in Item 10. he did not vote for the approval of the special event permit so his name should be deleted as voting aye. He also said the following should be added, “Discussion ensued regarding the Special Event Permit and planned tent for the event.” Aldermen Chasse and Swiatek amended their motion to approve the amended minutes.
Voting Aye: Alderman Chassee, Beifuss, Brown, Ferguson, Dimas, Swiatek, Garling, Short, Gagliardi, and Ligino-Kubinski. Voting Nay: 0. Alderman Sheahan abstained. Motion carried.
7. Corporate Disbursement Report. Alderman Dimas made a motion, seconded by Alderman Garling, to approve the August 19, 2019, Corporate Disbursement Report in the amount of $811,130.79. Voting Aye: Aldermen Chassee, Beifuss, Brown, Sheahan, Ferguson, Dimas, Swiatek, Garling, Short, Gagliardi, and Ligino-Kubinski. Voting Nay: 0. Motion carried.
8. Consent Agenda – Consideration of an Omnibus Vote.
* Development Committee: Alderman Beifuss read and explained the following items:
A. Ordinance 19-O-0027 – An Ordinance Approving a Third Amendment to the Crematorium Special Use for 951 W. Washington Street – DuPage Cremations
B. Resolution 19-R-0034 – A Resolution Approving DuPage Cremations Lot Consolidation – 951 W. Washington Street
Alderman Beifuss made a motion, seconded by Alderman Sheahan, to adopt the above items. Voting Aye: Aldermen Chassee, Beifuss, Brown, Sheahan, Ferguson, Dimas, Swiatek, Garling, Short, Gagliardi, and Ligino-Kubinski. Voting Nay: 0. Motion carried.
9. Reports by Committees. None
10. Unfinished Business. None
11. New Business. None
12. Correspondence and Announcements.
- August 20, 2019 Plan Commission/Zoning Board of Appeals (cancelled)
- August 22, 2019 Finance Committee
- August 26, 2019 Public Affairs Committee (7:00 pm)
- August 27, 2019 Historical Preservation Commission
The City Clerk announced that the Ice Cream Social, sponsored by the West Chicago Historical Society and the City Museum, would be held Saturday, September 7, 2019. The cost is $5.00 and it includes delicious homemade pies, cakes, cookies, and ice cream. There will be a silent auction, and the event takes place in the beautiful gardens of the Kruse House.
The Mayor noted that the school districts lost several superintendents this past year. In the audience was District 33 Interim Superintendent Kristina Davis. The Mayor urged people to reach out and say hello to her. She has done a great job and should be the Superintendent.
13. Mayor’s Comments. The Mayor said the “Move with the Mayor” is coming up in September for four week-end 30 minute walks. He reaches out to all the grade schools, and has had over 200 people show up. This event becomes bigger every year and West Chicago out performs the big cities of the country. He would like West Chicago to beat everyone, especially Ohio.
This Saturday is the 5K fun run/walk sponsored by Healthy West Chicago. Registration is at 7:00 am and the walk/run starts at 8:30 am. Participants receive a T-shirt.
14. Executive Session. There was no executive session.
15. Items to be Referred for Final Action from Executive Session. Not applicable.
16. Adjournment. At 7:32 pm, Alderman Chassee made a motion, seconded by Alderman Dimas, to adjourn. Motion was carried by voice vote.