Village of Winfield Village Board of Trustees met March 16.
Village of Winfield Village Board of Trustees met March 16.
Here is the agenda as provided by the Board:
1. Call to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Pledge of Allegiance
5. Audience Participation
A. Presentation of the Government Finance Officers Association Award for Outstanding Achievement in recognition of the Village of Winfield’s 2016 Popular Annual Financial Report. Less than 400 units of local governments in the United States have earned this distinction. This is the 1st year the Village has received this award.
B. Wheaton Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Kerry O’Brien will welcome the Village of Winfield as a new member of the Chamber and share some of the opportunities available to local businesses.
C. Public Comments
The opportunity to speak to the Village Board is provided for those who have a question or comment on an agenda item or Village of Winfield issue that will stimulate thought so as to make the Village Board deliberations more productive and meaningful. The Village Board appreciates hearing from our residents and your thoughts and questions are valued. Respect for the duties of the Village Board and for the democratic process will be adhered to – in this regard, civility and a sense of decorum will be strictly followed. All speakers must address their comments to the Board. Comments that are personally condescending will not be permitted. Please use the microphone when speaking as the proceedings are being televised. Please state your name and address before commenting – all comments under Audience Participation are limited to three (3) minutes and each citizen will only be permitted to speak once.
6. Consent Agenda
A. Motion approving minutes from the Village Board and Committee of the Whole meeting held on March 2, 2017.
B. Motion approving payment of bills for March 16, 2017.
C. Motion approving a Temporary Use Permit for the St. John the Baptist Pro-Life Run to be held on the streets in the Village on July 15, 2017.
Non-Consent Agenda (7-9)
7. Motion to approve an ordinance amending the Village code to adopt Illinois Department of Natural Resources WaterSense Program requirements in Winfield. Community Development Coordinator Peter Krumins will present information on the IDNR WaterSense Program. The IDNR requires municipalities that utilize Lake Michigan water to adopt this model ordinance. This item was presented to the Village Board during the Committee of the Whole on March 2, 2017 with direction to proceed to a formal vote.
8. Motion to approve an ordinance amending the Village code to add a chapter under Title 7 for small cell antenna/tower right-of-way siting. Community Development Coordinator Peter Krumins will present information on a proposed small cell tower/antenna siting policy. The Illinois Municipal League provided a model ordinance for municipalities to consider adopting regulations for small cell towers on public right-of-way, expected to become a growing industry trend. This item was presented to the Village Board during the Committee of the Whole on March 2, 2017 with direction to proceed to a formal vote.
9. Motion to approve a temporary sign application for Pleasant Hill School.
Community Development Coordinator Peter Krumins will present information on a temporary sign application received from Pleasant Hill School to install an informational sign regarding an upcoming referendum for bond issuance to pay for repairs and renovations.
10. Motion to approve an ordinance authorizing an option purchase agreement for various parcels located at the southwest corner of Roosevelt and Winfield Roads. Village Manager Curt Barrett will present information on development progress since the January 19, 2017 Village Board meeting. Commercial real estate broker Peter Poulos has been working on behalf of the Village to assist interested property owners along Roosevelt Road in assembling their properties for sale to a commercial developer. The properties had been rezoned by the Village Board to allow commercial development as envisioned in the Village’s updated comprehensive plan. Developers have previously questioned what land is available and at what price. While the Village does not have the funding necessary to purchase the properties outright, under the guidance of Mr. Poulos, the Village Board has taken an innovative approach offering incentives to secure purchase options on enough properties to entice developers. This is a voluntary process with property owners attempting to reach agreement on purchase price based on market valuations. Since taking on the project last summer, Mr. Poulos has interacted with rezoned property owners to develop a rapport, and reached agreement with several so far on purchase options which he will market directly to developers once a sufficient assembly of land is achieved. That milestone would be followed by negotiations between the developer and Village on a development agreement expected to require significant incentives, as the Village seeks a quality commercial project that works for the sellers, the developer, and the Winfield community. Previous groups of purchase option agreements have already been brought forward for Village Board approval at the December 15, 2016 and January 19, 2017 meetings. There is another significant purchase option agreement brought forward this evening for Village
11. Motion to approve participation in the State of Illinois road salt joint purchasing program. Superintendent Tye Loomis will present information on the Village’s annual participation in the state’s competitive bidding process taking place this spring for delivery next winter. To diversify risk, purchases are again recommended to be made through both the State program (400 tons) and the County joint purchase (400 tons).
12. Trustee Comments & Reports of Committees and independent communications with developers
13. Other Village Officials’ Reports and Comments
A. Village President
B. Village Attorney
C. Village Clerk
D. Village Manager
E. Village Finance Director - Treasurer’s Report for February
Organizations in this Story
27 Jewell Rd
Winfield, IL - 60190