Villa Park Historical Preservation Commission reviews upkeep at village-owned historic properties
Villa Park Historical Preservation Commission met Thursday, Feb. 2.
Here are the minutes as provided by Villa Park:
MINUTES of the February 2, 2017 meeting of the Villa Park Historical Preservation Commission of the Village of Villa Park was held at 7:30 PM (Thursday) at the Villa Park Historical Museum, 220 S. Villa Avenue, Villa Park IL 60181.
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER
The February 2, 2017 VPHPC Meeting was called to order by Carol Marcus, VPHPC Chair, at 7:30 pm.
2. ROLL CALL
PRESENT: Carol Marcus - Chair/Secretary, Roxanne Beausoleil, Jose Castiillo
ABSENT: Adam Klintworth
VACANCY: one GUESTS: Trustee Al Bulthuis
3. APPROVE MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING
VPHPC did not meet in December 2016 and January 2017. The informal minutes from the November 2016 meeting had been previously approved. VPHPC warmly welcomed Trustee Al Bulthuis for attending our meeting. It is noted that the VPHPC was reduced from 7 members to 5 members at a recent Village Board meeting so we have a quorum...
4. Public Participation on non-agenda items (limit 5 minutes). None.
5. Public Participation on agenda items (limit 5 minutes). None.
6. OLD BUSINESS – Discussions:
Village Owned Historic Properties – Stewardship Review
- Former CAE Station c.1910 – Chamber of Commerce – Trim needs to be pained this spring.
- Former CAE Station c.1929 – Historical Museum – Commissioners discussed upgrading the lighting at the museum by the reference library with LED track lighting. Commissioners are encouraged to look for the appropriate unit for approval by Village staff and VPHS Board. Construction for the new shelter should start this spring.
- Former Chicago & Great Western Railroad Station (c. 1926) Improvements – The Majority of the inside improvements have been made, except for a small kitchen. A skating pond was set up for the residents this winter.
- Village Hall c.1929 – Nothing to report.
Old Post-Office Status- The pending contract was nulled. VPHPC would hope that the Village would purchase the property.
Kenilworth TIF Façade Program Design Review – Work on the commercial building (former Ace Hardware store at 128 S. Villa) had delays due to contractor issues. It will be a micro brewery. The old façade was removed and replaced with a modern stone and brick front with large doors that open in nice weather. No news on the demolished property located at 123 S. Villa Avenue.
VPHPC 2017 Preservation Awards. Four owners are filling out applications but none have been received yet. Carol has contacted two businesses but had not received a reply.
PROJECTS / TASKS
1. In Process Sponsor Educational / Out Reach Programs. No discussion.
2. On Hold: VPHPC Contribution towards Museum Reference Library Bookcase Doors
3. On hold: Villa Park Subdivision Research
4. In Progress: How to Research Your Home. VPHPC is developing a workshop on how to research your historic home. During the year, VPHPC has completed numerous research requests for many homeowners.
5. New VPHPC Brochure – VPHPC discussed creating a simple marketing brochure about VPHPC.
7. NEW BUSINESS DISCUSSIONS
A. REDUCE COMMISSION MEMBERS FROM 7 to Five Members. At a recent board meeting VPHPC was reduced from 7 members to five members by ordinance through VPHPC’s request.
B. Misc. News.
- The former M & M gas station behind the old post office was sold. Marketing for 2017 Historic Plaque Program will start soon.
- The Wander Company established their business in Villa Park 100 years ago in 1917.
- Golden Spike is no longer pursuing the PUD.
C. Commisioner Reports / Comments. None.
D. VPHPC 2017-2018 budget. The budget will be the same as last year. Historic Village owned building improvements are budgeted by Greg Gola and Dave Elliott and they are aware of our needs.
E. New Village staff members. Kelly Kuechle is the new Executive Assistant to the Village Manager. Kylie Cerk is the new public information officer.
6. BILL PAYMENT / BUDGET
Carol will need to submit bills for many items. VPHPC Membership is due to National Trust for Historic Preservation, IAHPC, and Landmarks Illinois.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 PM.
The next regular VPHPC meeting will be held at the Villa Park Historical Museum, 220 S. Villa Avenue, and Villa Park at 7:30 PM on Thursday, March 2, 2017.
Organizations in this Story
20 S Ardmore Ave
Villa Park, IL - 60181